On Saturday, July 8, NASSCO officially named and christened its newest tug boat, the “Blue Fin.” Earning its namesake through a contest extended to schools in the Greater Logan Heights community, the name “Blue Fin” is reminiscent of NASSCO’s early beginnings as a major manufacturer of tuna boats beginning in the 1940s.
At the center of the world’s most successful fishing fleet, by the year 1948, NASSCO had designed and built nine steel hulled tuna boats with a grand total of twenty nine vessels by the time productions ceased in 1959. The first of these, the Juana (Hull 142) launched in May 1945. In light of the Korean War production was briefly diverted from 1950 to 1954, with only a few tuna boats being produced in that time frame. One ship launched in 1951, the Conte Bianco (Hull 173), was featured in the Journal of San Diego History, immortalizing NASSCO’s part in the building of San Diego’s famous fleet. After the war production picked up once more, and by 1958 our tuna ships made up a six million dollar investment in the San Diego fishing fleet. The final boat, the Larry Roe (Hull 323) was launched in 1958 as production progressed to other contracts.
While our company has come a long way from its days of building up San Diego’s tuna fleet, the “Blue Fin” serves as a reminder of past and the beginning of our roots in Barrio Logan.