PUBLISHED: March 25, 2020
To all Operations employees in New Construction & Repair,
In his letter to all employees dated 3/19/20, Dave Carver explained why General Dynamics NASSCO must continue operations during the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
While we must continue working to meet our obligations, it is NOT business as usual.
We must ALL do our part to keep coworkers, ourselves and our families safe and minimize the potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus (COVID-19) throughout the shipyard. We can do this by following the CDC recommendations:
- Do not come to work if you have flu like symptoms and contact the NASSCO COVID-19 hotline (619) 544 8585
- Cover your cough or sneeze
- Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face
- If you wear gloves, wash your hands after removing them
- Try not to use another person’s phone, tools or equipment
- Limit group gatherings or meetings to less than ten people and practice social distancing (keeping at least 6 feet away from another person) when possible. Please note this includes during breaks and meal times.
In recognition of the fact that practicing social distancing in the shipyard is easy for some but not easy for everybody, I am asking everyone in New Construction and Repair Operations to wear a respirator, a mask or other type of barrier such as a neck gaiter in order to prevent particles from our mouths becoming airborne.
Over the next few days, Operations employees will be issued with either a respirator, a mask or a neck gaiter depending on where they are working and what job they are doing.
You’ve read the signs “We’re all in this together”. Please use the mask type issued to you and take good care of it, as supplies are limited. With proper care and attention, each mask can be re-used many times. The same rules applies to respirators and masks as with other PPE, please do not share your respirator/mask with anyone else or use another person’s respirator/mask.
Steve Davison, VP Operations